Thursday, April 28, 2011

Don't use F word to describe royal wedding cake

via snackattacktme
Did you know that Kate Middleton chose fruitcake specialty cake as her wedding cake this weekend? Fruit, er, I mean specialty cake sales have picked up this weekend, probably for royal wedding-themed parties.

These bourbon or brandy-soaked cakes are usually Christmas favorites. Kate is said to have chosen a floral-themed cake with cream and white icing frosting.

I remember helping my grandmother bake fruitcakes, wrap them in a brandy-soaked cloth, then shut them away in a tin in the top of a closet for about a month before they were ready to eat.

Many Americans refer to them as "door stoppers" or "bar-room sponges".

But maybe the frosting will help. Grandma never frosted her cake. Perhaps that will make all the difference.  I certainly send the couple my best wishes for their future happiness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment