Sunday, September 11, 2011

September 11, 2001

I got my kids dressed and drove them to school that morning as usual. Everything was so much as usual on that deceptively beautiful day. After the kids got out of the car, I turned on the car radio to listen to a local music station, but the disk jockeys were talking about Armageddon. They said smoke covered New York City and it seemed to take them forever to explain what had happened for listeners that just tuned in. I drove straight home and remained glued to my television for hours.

Multiple attacks.
It was on purpose.
Those bastards.

This past Friday there was a Patriot Day ceremony at the flag pole of my kids' elementary school. Is that what we are calling it now? Patriot Day? The ceremony involved a local Cub Scout pack, who assisted with the American Flag and led patriotic songs.

Refrain:
And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died
And gave that right to me
And I'll gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today
For there ain't no doubt I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
###

0 comments:

Post a Comment