Thursday, September 29, 2011

I love autumn, it's gardening season


I admit again to being inspired by my blogging buddy, Z. She loves autumn like I do, and I don't think it is a coincidence that we both live in Southern California. For those of you who live in other areas, autumn may seem a bad omen of winter. For us it brings sweet relief from unrelenting heat, droning air conditioners and high electric bills. Honestly, if the A/C doesn't kick on for the next several months, I will be one happy lady. Cool nights mean that even if the days are warm, the artful opening and closing of windows during cool hours means that my home can keep cool and there will be a good supply of fresh breezes.

Autumn is also the very best gardening season in So CA.  Plant annuals or perennials in fall and your spring will bring a double bonus.  Since winter here is cool and rainy, the plants set a deep root system over the fall and winter, preparing to give a spring show that can't be beat.  Plant the same plant in the spring and it will be struggling to keep up.  Only stay away from delicate summer tropicals this time of year.  Other than that, have at it!  October is the best planting month because the heat waves are less likely to come and ruin the tender new plants. Here is my dream garden. You don't get this by waiting until spring to plant.
Hey, wait a minute (I can hear you say). I thought you were writing about fall. That picture looks like spring. And that is our secret here in Southern California. Fall here, with the exception of a few trees like Liquid Amber whose leaves turn color and actually drop off, looks very much like a mini spring. In fact, the early spring flowers in most climates do great here as fall/winter garden flowers.

0 comments:

Post a Comment